Jun 19, 2009

Rethinking Dinner

I have a group of girlfriends that likes to get together, drink wine, gab, and eat cheese for dinner. It may not be nutritionally sound, but it’s a time-honored tradition among us – and we spend all night grazing on a huge platter of different cheeses with crackers, meats, olives, spreads and sometimes even a vegetable or two.

Scenes from our last Girls’ Night In

I got home late one night this week and just didn’t have it in me to fix dinner. As I stood in front of the open fridge, waiting for divine intervention*, it occurred to me that I didn’t need to have my friends around to eat cheese and crackers. I started grabbing bits and pieces and ended up with my own meze plate full of different tastes. Half of a cucumber, a lone peach, knobs of cheese, the last slice of proscuitto… I was basically cleaning out the fridge, but slicing everything up and putting it on a pretty plate made a quick, fun dinner in the same spirit as my treasured nights with the gals.

Clockwise from top: the last Green Market peach, a slice of proscuitto torn into bite-size pieces, shards of paremesan, feta and white cheddar, thick slices of cucumber with salt and lots of pepper, buttery crackers.

Call it a cheese plate, an appetizer, or a glorified snack... this Dinner For One doesn't require a recipe - just a change in mindset. 

* It’s been scientifically proven that if you stand in front of the open refrigerator and stare long enough, something delicious and easy to prepare in mere seconds will magically appear.

No comments: