1. It's a great way to use up bits & pieces you have lying around - any veggies, cheeses and/or meats will work. A quick inspection of my fridge yielded half an onion, a few handfuls of spinach, two kinds of cheese and an open bag of cooked turkey bacon crumbles (TOTALLY doesn't qualify as bacon but when you're desperate...).
2. You get incredible mileage out of just three eggs. Here's the basic recipe I used:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place ready-to-bake pie crust (by all means make your own if you're so inclined) in a pie pan and sprinkle a handful of cheese on the bottom. Put 3 cups of veggies and/or meats in the pan and spread them out in an even layer. Beat together 3 eggs, 2 TB all purpose flour, 1 cup milk, salt & pepper. Pour egg mixture in the pan, pressing down on everything to make sure it's submerged. Sprinkle another handful of cheese over the top and bake for 40-45 minutes until center is set, crust is golden and cheese is browned in spots.
3. It's great any time of day. Case in point - I made this one for lunch Saturday. It was delicious. Then I had a piece before heading out Saturday night. Still delicious. Got home in the early morning hours Sunday and seriously considered having a piece - it would have been delicious but I was too tired to even chew. Went to bed, woke up later Sunday morning and had a piece for breakfast. Yep, morning was just as delicious as noon & night.
4. My friend Kate loves it for all these reasons and more.
5. You won't have to share it with any men. Men, as a general rule, do not like quiche. If offered to them, they will scoff at it. No one really understands why because if you were to offer them a piece of spinach and bacon "pie" (for example) they would gladly eat a piece the size of their head. Go figure.