Aug 5, 2009

How to: Bread Salad

Pop Quiz:
On one very lucky day you are given a bag of home-grown cucumbers, tomatoes, jalapenos, and cubanelle peppers AND a bag of fresh herbs including oregano, rosemary & basil AND three delicious loaves of bread. What do you do with them?

Answer:
You make a Greek-Style Bread Salad of course!

Before & After

How to make it:
There's not much of a recipe here - really just assembly instructions. 

Peel a cucumber (half of one if they're large) and roughly chop the cucumber, one tomato, one cubanelle and half a sweet onion. Add two ounces of cubed or crumbled feta, a handful of chopped fresh oregano and a handful of olives (if you have them, I actually didn't!). Add two handfuls of cubed bread and toss with a few tablespoons of basic vinaigrette. I made an easy red wine vinegar and olive oil vinaigrette but any oil and vinegar combo will work. Allow the dressing to soak into the bread, add salt and pepper to taste. 

This is actually a great way to use day-old stale bread. Since my bread was fresh, I toasted it for a few minutes after I cubed it. That way when it soaks up the dressing it becomes soft - not soaked and squishy.

Big thank you to all the sweet folks who gifted me with beautiful produce and bread!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Looks delicious! Because I'm obsessed with avocados, I wonder how this would taste with toasted tortilla strips and cilantro, sort of a mexican style.

The Single Gal said...

it would be delicious! Maybe a cumin/lime vinaigrette...

I've also had it with capers & pine nuts served with roasted chicken - insanely good.