Aug 12, 2009

Making the Most of Breakfast

I lived in Mexico the summer after I graduated from high school. It was a student travel abroad program and I loved every minute of it. The people, the culture, the community and the food – oh the food… Authentic Mexican food is nothing like what we have here and I tried so many new things that summer. It’s probably safe to say that my taco fixation began then as well… yep, I ate from street vendors in small villages in Mexico – I was living on the edge.

Dinner For One: Chilaquiles

One of my favorite dishes from my time there is actually considered a peasant breakfast – a way to use up yesterday’s tortillas and leftover salsa. In the U.S. it’s usually served for dinner and sometimes you’ll see it made with eggs on a brunch menu. While my version is nowhere near authentic - it is a quick and easy way to whip up this comfort food any time of day.

What you’ll need:
3 TB olive oil
1 medium white onion, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper
1 cup mild salsa
1 small can red enchilada sauce (approx. 10 oz.)
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
3 large handfuls tortilla chips
1 large handful Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
crema or sour cream, diced radish & chopped onion for garnish

How to make it:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Heat olive oil in a wide oven-safe pan over medium heat on the stove. Add onions, garlic, salt & pepper and cook until onions are translucent. Add salsa and enchilada sauce, stir to combine. Add chicken and tortilla chips, stir until the chips begin to soften and everything is coated in sauce. Add half the cheese, stir once more, sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and put the pan in the oven until the cheese is melted, the chips are soft, and the sauce is bubbling.

Serving this to friends? Add a side of spicy black beans and a salad with avocado and lime – morning or night, it’ll be a hit.


NOTE: This is not a glamorous recipe. In fact, as I'm re-reading now, it really doesn't sound tasty at all, does it? But please - trust me on this one & try it. I've introduced it to friends & they all love it so I know you will too. And buy the really thick yellow tortilla chips - the kind with a picture  of someone's sweet little abuelita on the front - you won't be sorry.

3 comments:

Erin said...

OMG. This is the best thing ever! I just started drooling thinking about it.

Kate said...

Kind of like dinner migas?

The Single Gal said...

Kate - Really similar to migas... only more saucy I think. Thou migas (with eggs & shredded beef) is also near & dear to my heart!

Ms. Erin - you come on over anytime & I'll make you some.