Jan 14, 2009

Mark Bittman Part II

Stuck-Pot Rice? Why haven’t I heard of this before? All this time I thought I was ruining rice only to find out it’s actually a Middle Eastern treat??

Leave it to Mark Bittman to turn most people’s failures into a culinary success. This week he’s posted a recipe for Stuck-Pot Rice with Yogurt & Spices that at first glance seems a little nutty and completely unlike anything you’ve ever had before. Read his post and get the recipe here.

Anyone who knows (and loves) me knows that I can’t cook rice to save my life. I’ve even had to throw away pots because I’ve screwed it up so terribly! Do you know how badly you have to burn rice before it’s just easier to throw the whole pot away??

This year I received the sweetest, most thoughtful gift: a rice cooker. It’s not very big - it makes up to three cups, so it’s easy to use and just right for a quick weeknight dinner. And I LOVE it. I’ve gone through bags of rice since I got it – basmati rice, jasmine rice, brown rice, rice cooked in coconut milk, even just plain old long grain white rice…it all comes out perfectly cooked and delicious.

But now I’m intrigued by the idea of browning my rice – on purpose! I may have to try this recipe soon, if I can just find a pot…

No comments: