Jan 12, 2009

Talkin' 'bout last night...

Not every night can be a party and a Single Gal's gotta eat, right? Dinner For One (DFO) recipes usually make enough for two servings - which means there will be great leftovers for tomorrow's lunch.

DFO dinners don't require a special trip to the grocery store either - they're usually cobbled together from pantry staples with whatever fresh ingredients I picked up on my last shopping excursion - what could be easier than that?

Dinner For One: Chickpea Curry

This is as easy as it gets – plus it’s quick & filling. Spicy & creamy, it’s great over rice or even just scooped up in flour tortillas…

Here’s how I made it:
I chopped a quarter of a large onion into a medium dice and threw it in a small saucepot with a splash of olive oil over medium heat. Once the onion started to soften & turn translucent I added two tablespoons of curry powder and generous amounts of salt & pepper. Stir to coat the onions in the spices & let them cook for 2 minutes. Open and drain a can of chickpeas and add them to the pot, stir to distribute the onions & spices. Cook for two more minutes. Add one small can of coconut milk (5.6 fl. oz.) and stir to incorporate.

Let it bubble lightly for a few minutes, spoon over rice and top with chopped cilantro.
DFO: Chickpea Curry

NOTE: You can add any veggies you want, I’ve tried carrots, green beans, broccoli, diced potato, zucchini & cauliflower and it’s all delicious.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum-o! That sounds great. Coconut milk is not one of my pantry staples but I think it needs to be. Especially if I am giving up cheese for Lent! I will need to change my black beans and rice routine for spicy chick pea recipes!

Anonymous said...

I am definitely making this soon. Right up my alley. And the Chicken Man doesn't like curry.

Anonymous said...

Made this last night, and it was fabulous. Loved it. H-Man loved it, too. We added cauliflower for an added boost of nutrition. We'll definitely be making it again. This one is a keeper.